1. They are really easy to take care of. We go out once or twice a day to check on them. We let them out of their coop a couple of times a week, make sure their food and water buckets are full, and that's about it.
|Our baby chicks when we first we got them|
2. They have an egg song. Sometimes they sing it before they lay an egg or sometimes after. One day you may happen upon your juvelnile chicken squawking away in the nesting bin breathing like she is going through lamaze and her butt clenching like contractions. The squawking will come and go like contractions come and go. You watch patiently hoping that you will see a chicken laying her first egg! Then, 20 minutes later she will get up and run away as if nothing has happened. And you realize that eggs are coming soon, but not today for that one.
|Our nesting boxes- 5 gallon buckets|
3. Chickens first eggs are small, but they will get bigger the more they lay.
|Our brown eggs compared to a white extra large egg|
4. The shells of the first eggs are harder than store bought eggs (assuming you have enough calcium). If the chickens have too much calcium the eggs can have "acne" or too little the shell wont form properly and it will be more like a gel than a shell. Thankfully we haven't had these issues!
|Chickens on the roost|
5. You don't have to have them as pets. I was afraid that we would lose one of the chicks and/or one would turn out to be a rooster. And eventually they will stop laying eggs and we will need to decide what to do with them. So we decided to that they would simply be "the chickens", no names no individuality, not pets. I did break this rule a little bit, one of our 6 was a little bit smaller than the others and I named her nugget. She also had some different markings on her. Now that their full feathers have come in, I can't tell which she is. So, once again, they are all the just "the chickens".
6. Fresh eggs taste better!
7. Sometimes you get double yolks!
Shared on Homesteader Hop, Waste Less Wednesday, Simply Natural Saturday, Sustainable Sunday