You may have heard of the HERMOSA study. It received quite a bit of press last month for measuring the amount of chemicals in teenage girls while using traditional products versus more natural products. HERMOSA stands for Health and Environmental Research on Makeup of Salinas Adolescents in Salinas, California.
They studied the urine of girls for metabolites of phthalates, parabens, triclosan and oxybenzone. Most dropped between 30% and 45% with just 3 days of avoidance.
|Beauty Products by Spmath|
Little of the press coverage about this study tells what they recommended the girls use. In general they were told to seek out agents that were labeled to be free of those four chemicals. However they also recommended some natural and homemade alternatives.
If you have been following DIY beauty products at all you will likely be familiar. There are numerous blog posts and recipes for these products, but I wanted to show you examples of the types of ingredients.
- Soft and silky hair: whole egg for normal hair, egg yolks alone for dry hair and egg whites alone for oily hair.
- Conditioning mask: banana, avocado and olive oil
- Clarifier/conditioner: apple cider vinegar
- Hair gel: gelatin
- Hairspray: Lemons with water
- Shampoo: olive oil, egg, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar
- Conditioner: olive oil and egg
- Lighten acne scars: lemon juice
- Dewy glow: honey and aloe vera
- Soothe redness and heal scars: oatmeal and honey
- Pore strip: gelatin and milk
- De-puff eyes: chamomile or green tea bags
- Cellulite: coffee grounds, olive oil and sugar to help with cellulite
- Strawberry body scrub: strawberries, brown sugar, olive oil, honey and lemon juice.
- Sugar waxing: sugar, lemon, honey
|Lemon Thyme Cookies (1 of 8) by ImpromptuKitchen|